Debit cards are a popular payment method, but not all businesses accept them.
This can be frustrating for customers who try to pay with a debit card only to find out that the business doesn’t accept that form of payment. So, does Hertz accept debit cards?
The answer is yes, Hertz does accept debit cards as a form of payment.
Does Hertz Accept Debit Cards?
Yes, Hertz does accept debit cards as a form of payment.
In order to use a debit card, you will need to present it at the time of rental and have it approved by a Hertz representative.
It has to be a major debit card(with MasterCard/Visa logo)in the renter’s own name with available credit.
Digital wallet cards are not accepted.
You should also present a current driver’s license at the time of rental.
Hertz will generally request an authorization hold against your account at the time of rental.
The amount is equivalent to the estimated cost of rental charges and any additional charges that may be incurred.
These funds will not be available for your use
In some certain conditions that will be outlined at the time of rental, hertz can place an authorization of $500 on your debit card, plus the estimated charges. If you were to use a credit card the authorization against your card could be $200, plus the estimated rental charges.
More on the Hertz debit card policy and Payment options are explained below, hold on tight!
What is Hertz Debit Card Policy?-(Still on Does Hertz Accept Debit Cards?)
Hertz debit card policy is quite straight forward and easy to understand.
To qualify to rent from hertz, the renter must show a valid driver’s license and a valid debit card with a Mastercard or Visa logo.
This debit card should have credit and should be in the renter’s own name.
Hertz Hold on Account Funds
An authorization hold on the credit card will be secured and will be equivalent to the estimated rental charges and any additional charges that may be incurred.
The funds on hold will not be available for your use.
On certain conditions, they may place an authorization amount of $500 for a debit card, plus the estimated charges. This will be outlined at the time of rental.
Using Debit Cards To Qualify for a Rental
At every hertz location, debit cards under a VISA, Mastercard and Discover logo which draw funds directly from the cardholder’s account may be used to qualify for the rental only if the following requirements are met;
Vehicle class reserved is Compact through Fullsize ONLY;
- At Hertz Airport locations, you will be required to provide proof of a return airline flight to coincide with the rental and present two (2) valid forms of identification;
- Debit cards may be used to begin a rental at corporate-owned Hertz Local Edition locations, i.e., neighbourhood locations situated outside of airports. To qualify for a rental using a debit card, you must make your reservation at least 24 hours before your rental pick-up date; be at least 25 years old; have a Corporate Discount Plan (CDP) number listed in the reservation or proof of return trip travel ticket (airline or cruise), and present two (2) valid forms of identification.
You will be required to meet all age, driver and credit requirements. However, there are exceptions to this general policy:
- You can use a Debit Card if it is already included in your Hertz Gold Plus Rewards profile, regardless of vehicle type.
- Debit cards are not accepted to qualify at the time of rental on Premium vehicles and above, including Tesla, Dream Cars and Adrenaline Cars.
- Debit cards are not accepted for Prepaid (PayNow) rentals.
Using Debit Cards as Payment for Your Rental
Debit cards and prepaid cards are accepted for payment when you are returning your rental.
For debit card payment at airport locations
At airport locations, in addition to valid united states or foreign country-issued driver’s license, you must present one of the following forms;
- An additional credit card or debit card with the same name as the driver’s license which will be used for identification purposes only.
- A government-issued ID in the same name as a driver’s license and debit card.i.e Passport or military ID
- A form of Id that includes a photo e.g a store member card e.g Walmart etc. It will only be accepted if the photo and name match the driver’s license and the debit card.
Hertz Payment Methods
Hertz offers a variety of payment methods to suit the needs of its customers. Hertz accepts major credit cards, debit cards, cash and a charge card that is accepted at the pick up location (Card).
Which Debit Cards are Accepted by Hertz?
Debit cards are accepted by hertz if they have the Visa or Mastercard logo as credit identification at the time of rental.
What’s the Issue with Debit Cards?
When customers rent a car with a debit card, the rental company assumes added risk. The customer could return the car with small dings that the insurance policy won’t cover. Other risks include; parking fees and toll fees.
Debit cards require the cardholder to be there to enter the PIN number to make the charges but a credit card can be billed without the holder being present.
This is why most rental companies require a credit card for reservations because they know they will not bear any risks. With a debit card, they can’t do this.
Other Car Rental Companies that Accept Debit Cards
Debit cards are a convenient way to pay for purchases, including car rentals. While most major car rental companies accept debit cards, there are a few exceptions.
The following car rental companies accept debit cards: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and National. Debit card acceptance may vary by location, so it’s always best to call ahead to confirm.
When renting a car with a debit card, you may be required to provide additional documentation such as proof of insurance or a return flight itinerary. Be sure to ask about any requirements when making your reservation.
Conclusion-(Summary of Does Hertz Accept Debit Cards? (Hertz Debit Card Policy))
In conclusion, yes, Hertz does accept debit cards as a form of payment. However, there are a few things to keep in mind when using a debit card at Hertz.
Be sure to have enough money in your account to cover the cost of the rental, as well as any additional fees that may be associated with using a debit card.
Additionally, you may need to present a valid ID when using a debit card at Hertz, so be sure to have that ready as well.